I am truely amazed at how much a small garden will produce. It is the middle of June and I've already harvested pounds of produce from my garden. Most of our veggies are coming from the garden right now and I feel really good about that. I am keeping a running list of the harvest by weight so I can really see it. So far this is the list:
Chives 4 ounces
Kale 13 ounces
Lettuce 2 pounds 9 ounces
Oregano 15 ounces
Radishes 2 pounds 5 ounces
Rhubarb 3 pounds 9 ounces
Spinach 8 oz
Sugar Snap Peas 1 pound 4 ounces
Swiss Chard 7.75 ounces
Turnip Greens 1 pound 12 ounces
I have some turnips and beets that I will pull tomorrow for dinner along with their yummy greens. I'm weighing them separate because I think of them as different vegetables. Right now, we are enjoying lots of salad, sugar snap peas and greens of various types. We have fresh herbs but I need to dehydrate some sage, spearmint, and more chives.
We have started the foraging fun for the year with mulberries. We found a few trees at the lake and we have one in our neighborhood. We've only picked about a quart and a half (that made it to the scale, lol) but they sure are tasty. I'd love to pick enough to make some jam and dehydrate some for the winters oatmeal. We did make some delicious sorbet with a quart of them. Very fancy!
I made some strawberry jam and dehyrated some with the twenty or so pounds of strawberries we picked last week at the U Pick place. It was a lot of work but last year when we ate them in the winter, we could remember picking them, what the day looked like and what it felt like. It was really worth it. It's more than just food, it's also a memory. That's what it's all about, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
I can remember being a kid and going over to my friend, Becky's house. They had two or three mulberry trees (bushes?)along the creek on North St. and we'd go in there and just eat and eat and eat. Her mom used to get so upset because she was afraid we'd eat them all. Good times. :)
Post a Comment