Friday, August 8, 2008

08/08/08

I love cool dates. The last one, 07/07/07, Mark proposed to Dana. I wonder if anything cool will happen today?

What a lovely day it is supposed to be today. Yesterday was beautiful. It was in the low 80's with low humidity. Our air is off! It has been such a weird summer weather wise. Cool and comfortable then hot and humid then cool and comfortable again. I won't complain. I love this weather.

Monarch butterflies are everywhere. I think of you, Barb, when I see them. I haven't seen any monarch caterpillars yet. We have plenty of milkweed on the back fence and it's starting to bloom. I did find some interesting caterpillars on my dill though. Turns out they were black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. They look a lot like monarch butterfly caterpillars in that they have the same colors but the pattern is different. Anyway, they couldn't live in my dill so we put them in a jar and let them go on the roadside in a patch of queen anne's lace. According to the sites I looked at, black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars eat plants from the carrot family and queen anne's lace fit the bill nicely.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

We've already had 3 monarch caterpillars this year. We brought in two and the third made it's chrysalis before we could get to it. The two we brought in made theirs about 2 days ago. The kids were so excited.

I did see another monarch in the milkweed this morning. I'll have to check for caterpillars in a couple of days since I'm not good at spotting the eggs.

debbie said...

Awesome, Barb! Isn't a monarch chrysalis beautiful? I love the gold "trim" on it. Good luck with them.

Barbara said...

Jacob found three more today and insisted we bring them in so that they would be protected. LOL! This is just too cool.

Jacob was very jealous of your swallowtail caterpillars. We've been seeing them around here, too. (the butterflies, not the caterpillars)

debbie said...

Tell Jacob we didn't keep the swallowtail caterpillars. They wanted to live in my herb garden and they would be way too destructive. From what I read, they overwinter in their chrysalis. I don't know if that is only the ones who form them in the fall or what. I didn't want to mess with it.