Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Busy busy busy

Wow, this time of year goes so fast! I can't believe summer is almost over. It seems like we were always hopping doing something. The dog days are upon us, that's for sure. I was on the computer last night about 10:00 pm and the temperature was still 86 degrees with 77% humidity. I am so thankful for air conditioning. It was cooler temperature wise today but the humidity is still awful.

My garden is going crazy. I got my first significant crop of tomatoes today. I planted a couple of heirloom varieties. One of them produces such big tomatoes. I weighed one and it was 18.5 oz. I think I will keep a few for slicing and freeze the rest until my peppers come on and I can make some salsa. Last year, that was a big hit. It hasn't been good weather for peppers though. I'm hoping that I will get some soon. I have little ones on there but I usually have quite a few by now.

My herbs are doing well too. I've been dehydrating camomile. The smell....I think I've decided that camomile is the most wonderful smell in the whole world. It's just lovely. I've got heads of dill waiting for my cukes to come on full boar. I planted lemon cukes this year. They are yummy. They are light green/yellow and the size of a lemon. They are just the most mild tasting cucumber I've ever tasted. Yum. I've also got two good sized watermelon growing and a bunch of tiny ones. I hope that I get at least 5. That would make me happy. I have a good sized honeydew melon too. My green beans have flowered and should be coming on too now that Jeff put a rabbit fence around them. The bunnies left all the rest of my garden alone but evidently, they can't resist green beans.

School starts on August 19. What a big year. Mary Rose will be in first grade and Emma will be a freshman. Time goes so fast. I remember when Emma was in first grade. Good grief, I remember when Mark was in first grade. It really does seem like just a few years ago.

I think of the changes in our lives since then. Most of the changes are good ones. Somewhere in that time, I found myself in my 40's. Funny, I never minded it. I decided I really like my 40's. There is something about the confidence that you feel and there is less pressure to look, act and dress younger than you are.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I wish I could get veggies to grow well for me. I can usually get a couple of tomatoes and beans but then nothing else. Oh well.

We start school on the 18th. I can't believe Emma's in high school now. Wow. That means that my very first class of kindergarteners...they're sophomores!!! Is that even possible?!?

debbie said...

See what I mean about time flying?