Thanksgiving is almost here. I need to pick up my turkey today. I will cook it tomorrow. The menu is Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce, corn, bread and butter, green beans, and pie.
I have so many things to be thankful for this year. I am going to try to think of 100 things I'm thankful for from now until Thursday. I know there are many things I take for granted.
1. Jesus. For my salvation and that He walks with me, guiding me, every day.
2. My husband, Jeff, who has put in 18 years of marriage and is more sweet and wonderful now than ever.
3. Emma who is mostly a delight. What a talented girl she is and so giving of her time and talents to others.
4. Mary Rose who is just a helpful, sweet, tenderhearted thing.
5. Mark who has grown up to be a fine man who loves the Lord. Who's not afraid of hard work and responsibility.
6. Dana. No one has a sweeter daughter in law than I do. I love her gentle spirit and her love for the Lord.
7. Jeff's job.
8. Our freedom and the men and women who keep us safe.
9. My church. I love our church, the preaching, the worship, we are so blessed.
10. Good Christian friends. You know, the ones who will give you a Godly "wedgie" if you need one. The ones who will tell you that you have broccoli in your teeth and give you a hug when you look like you need one.
11. Dad. What a kind, generous man. I mention I would like something and he shows up with it. I'm thankful to have an oportunity to get to know him better the last couple of years.
12. My Father-in-law. When we were first married, he was a physically powerful guy. Now I see him as a mentally powerful one. Always one to listen carefully to what you are saying and knowlegable in so many things!
13. My Mother-in-law. What a funny sense of humor even if she's laughing at herself! She's always been the model of what a Christian woman should be. Steadfast and faithful.
14. My sister, Sue. Strong. She wouldn't think so probably. Creative. She makes many beautiful things. Loyal. She keeps in touch when I forget to. She's a good listener too.
15. My sister, Barb. Dependable. If you want something done, ask Barb. Many people do. Busy. I don't know how she gets done all the things she does.
16. My home.
17. Illinois. I've always felt a bit like George Bailey in that everyone gets to leave and see the world and here we stay. It's really not a bad place. There are many things to love about Illinois - just maybe not January and February.
18. My pop up. So many memories have been made in that little trailer. Her name is Rhoda.
19. Beautiful turkey cooking weather! It's supposed to be in the upper 40's today and sunny. I have done this in some really rotten weather!
20. Wild nuts. While in the garage messing with the grill and all the stuff that goes with it, I got into the black walnuts. Yum! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but they have a sweet taste.
21. Farmer Bob. He is in his 80's and he still has a 300 acre working farm. He is the source of our raw milk, eggs, pork, beef, wheat and sweet corn and an occasional scary big sweet potato. He's literally my real life link to the way food used to be. He saves his own seed to plant next year and he milks his own cows twice a day. What an awesome man who just loves living on his farm. He has a purpose for living and knows what it is. This man grafts his own trees from old time apple varieties and has pecan trees on his property in Illinois. He loves to let the girls explore the farm while I pick his brain about almost everything. He taught me how to render lard and showed me the "cave" - his root cellar dug into the north side of a hill. Very very cool.
22. Mr. and Mrs. Koonce. Our honey and apple couple. He is also in his 80's. Another wonderful couple of mentors. He loves his bees, his apples and his grapes. He taught me how to make the most delicious grape jelly, yum! Also pink applesauce.
23. Mr. Campbell. Our former Sunday school teacher. Also in his 80's, he's a former high school history teacher who loves to study Israel, the Middle East and the end times. How knowledgable and interesting he is! I never knew Daniel, Ezekiel, etc. could be so fascinating or so relevant to today.
24. My homestead forum. I've learned so much about natural foods and how to prepare them. It has really helped in the transition in these tough financial times to know how to buy in bulk, cook from scratch and buy locally.
25. Spending Thanksgiving with those I love. What a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with laughing and lots of food.
26. Sharp knives. Happy day, how they make me happy!
27. My dear, childhood friend, Sandra! I can't believe that we've stayed in touch for 30 years after we moved away. You have to love a friend who's known you since second grade for me and 5th grade for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
2 comments:
I am thankful for a friend like you, one I have know for 34 years and counting. You have always been there through snail mail, telephone calls and email. I love you and thank God for a wonderful friendship with you.
Love you forever, ME
Aw, I love you too! I feel the same way, you are my oldest and dearest friend. Well, not oldest age-wise, lol, you know what I mean.
Post a Comment