I've had such fun this week. We went to our friend's house to pick apples and grapes last Saturday. They are such a dear couple. Mr. K went out on his golf cart to supervise and direct us. I'm so thankful to him.
He has grapevines, concord and winesap. He told me that I needed 5# concord and 2# winesap to make a batch of grape jelly but he told me to make a double batch. He said a 2 gallon bucket of concords and a small bucket of winesap would be about right. Well, it made a triple batch of the most lovely grape jelly I've ever tasted! I used the pomona's pectin in it so it wasn't overly sweet but it was jelly sweet if that makes sense.
Then, we were on to the apples. He was telling me that you use half mcIntosh and half jonathan in applesauce for a really good flavor and for pink sauce. He's right, yum.
Applesauce is ridiculously easy. You cut up apples with skins on but cut out the core. I just hold the apple upright and slice a side off then turn it 1/4 way around and cut that side off, repeating until I am left with the core. The apples go into the pot then with a bit of water so they don't stick. I made it by the huge soup pot full so I probably used about 1 1/2 cups water. I then put it on the stove, covered, on a low heat for about 45 minutes and stirred. Then, I just stirred every once in a while until the mess was mushy. I then use an applesauce strainer to strain out the apple peels and make it the right consistency. Add sugar if you wish and you are in business. I canned mine and so far, I have 7 quarts and 2 pints. A friend of mine who makes hers in a smaller quantity peels her apples and makes it in the crock pot.
He we also picked golden delicious for canned apple pie filling and for eating and winesap for dehydrating. I've dehydrated 10 trays of apples so far and I'm dehydrating 8 right now. Whew! It does smell great in here though! I know that we will be so thankful for all these apples this winter.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
4 comments:
I am moving in with you, I want a simple life. I have a pretty simple life but I am too lazy to enjoy it. Keep on writing in your blog, I enjoy reading it and I really miss you when you don't write. Well I really miss you anyway. One day I am coming back to visit you and your family. I just don't know when, I wish I was able to do it before your mom passed away, because I miss your parents too, they were my other family.
That grape jelly sounds amazing!!! I need to make some applesauce.
Sandra, if you move in, I'm putting you to work. LOL, we should just trade places for a while, preferrably in the middle of winter so I can escape to CA for a while.
Barb, it is! I had a PBJ for breakfast.
Debbie,
We could do trading spouses but I think your husband would be very disappointed and want you back real quick. But I think the girls and I would have a good time and we could teach each other a lot. I did say I was lazy, but I am not afraid of hard work. I think I would really enjoy the things you do. I just need motivation and you could be it.
love yah
Post a Comment