I decided to make and can some spaghetti sauce today. I usually go to GFS and buy a #10 can of tomato sauce and one of tomatoes and then add spices, etc. I love to do this because having canned spaghetti sauce on a shelf is so convenient. While the tomatoes arn't home grown, I did pull some onions out of my garden and used some of the garlic I pulled a while back. I also used homemade Italian seasoning made mostly from herbs from my garden. How wonderful it is when everything comes together like that.
My friend, Trixie, called me and told me she found someone selling tomatoes for $20/bushel (about 50#). I asked her get me a bushel. I've never had enough tomatoes in my garden to can anything but salsa but I'm excited to do this. Forty cents a pound or so is a pretty good price, I'm thinking. This year, I'm rounding out my garden with more produce from farmer's markets and friends to increase my pantry with more local stuff. The tomatoes are coming from southern Illinois but I can deal with that. Saturday, I bought 4# of beets and canned 6 pints. I would like to buy some more since they were .50/#. I love this time of year. There is always plenty of fresh produce. I'm getting ansy for corn and green beans though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment