I can see the bottom of the box of peaches! I have canned 21 quarts of peach halves and dehydrated 9 trays of peach slices along with the 14 quarts of frozen peaches. After doing all that, I think that I like canning them best. They are so pretty all canned and floating in syrup. They taste amazing too. It will be summer in a jar this winter, I'm sure. I have to remember not to refrigerate the peaches, it makes them harder to peel. Jeff thought it would buy me a little time to refrigerate a box but I don't think I'd do it again except for the ones we eat.
Now that the bulk of the peaches are canned/frozen/dehydrated, I am on to jam. In my searching for the perfect recipes, I found one for peach jam with brown sugar and rum that sounded tasty. I've always like rum flavored stuff especially those buttered rum lifesavers. Anyway, I made some this morning and it is good. I decreased the rum and I thought that I would increase it next time, but 1/2 c is fine. This is the first time I've tried to make jam without added pectin. It was kind of fun. Tomorrow I will try just a plain peach jam without pectin. The only hard part is figuring out when it gels which takes about 25 minutes or so at a hard boil like candy making. I need to hurry up and finish with the peaches because I have a lot of tomatoes that need to be made into salsa.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment