Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Free gifts and the bank

Emma started a new job at the library last week. They have direct deposit so we needed to go to the bank and open an account. I went and talked to the lady by myself first. I didn't know if she should open a savings or checking account. Well, you can only withdraw 3x a month from the savings, so we decided a checking account would be better for the direct deposit and we also opened a savings account.

Checking accounts and a sixteen year old sound scary to me but I think it will work out ok. She has a few checks but we arn't ordering any more for now. She will have a debit card but won't carry it with her. She already was going to give herself an "allowance" so this works into the plan. She can always withdraw more if she needs something. She also has online banking so she can put money in her savings account too.

They just grow up too fast!

ETA: I forgot the free gifts part! Emma received a free gift for opening a checking account and I received one for referring her. We both picked binoculars. We had a good time looking at the neighbor's cat, the tree, etc. yesterday evening.

2 comments:

Dad said...

What? No toaster?

(^_^)

Dad

debbie said...

I know! We had a choice now between the binoculars and a backpack. We could keep the coupon and get a juicer next month or tupperware type containers in October.